Friday, June 12, 2015

Kane eats Raviolis???


I have to admit, the WWE "World Wrestling Entertainment" is and has been a guilty pleasure of mine for the better part of my life. This commercial is classic. It show's the wrestler Kane, who in character form, doesn't ever speak and is just a monster in the ring, dominates anyone and everyone in his path. So when it showed Kane without using any words, loving Chef boyardee, it made me laugh out loud.

Kane is essentially saying without saying how good chef boyardee is, if a guy like Kane wants to eat this kind of food, then as a kid back in the day, you know it had to be good for you. If Kane was doing it, I definitely wanted to be doing this too. Interesting how he can tell me to eat these things without using a single word.

From Marwell and Schmitt I found Reward within the commercial. This devastating machine in the ring opens this cupboard and it is just full of this food. He grabs the cans, starts making it into a huge bowl, and without speaking you can see just how much he enjoys this food. The reward is simple, to be like Kane, you want to eat this food.

I watched this several times as a kid growing up and then came across it again for this assignment, after watching it a few more times, I noticed also from the influence tactics, punishment. There is a scene in the commercial where Kane calls down fire from Hell and it lights up the cans and they fall into the bowl. In the wrestling world, this was done by Kane when he was entering the ring, when he was about to go to work on a guy he would do this same gesture, so you know whats coming. Punishment.With me being a wrestling fan, I knew exactly what was going to happen when Kane raised his hands before the Chef Boyardee. I wasn't about to not eat the can, even if I didn't want to.

The Process premise that I noticed in this commercial were definitely that of emotions. It started with seeing Kane open a cupboard full of food, it made me smile, kinda laugh, then he slams the cans down, calls the fire, and immediately you start to fear that Kane is going to do some work on you. You know whats going to happen when he starts getting angry and calls down the fire. In that 30 second clip with no words by Kane, you could find all kinds of different emotions.

This was a classic commercial. Commercials are still good today and there are some funny ones, but as I watched this one and many others while picking one to do this assignment on, they were way better back in the day, so simple, yet so funny, all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment